Saturday, May 31, 2008

080531-248 c & b

080531-248c

080531-248b
(I couldn't decide which colors to use so I posted both of them!)

I haven't made a fractal in more than a year. Those that know me in the fractal community know that I tend to come and go. The bad thing about this is that after a long time has passed without making a fractal, I tend to forget methods, not to mention that I come back to the community to learn there are all sorts of new toys for me to tinker with that I have no idea how to use. So, I encounter another learning curve, and it's looking fairly steep right now. I thank the fractal community for their unselfish sharing of tips and tricks to get me through this learning phase again.

I owe a big thanks to those who have visited this blog and left comments in the past year. I apologize that I haven't responded to the comments; I've neglected this blog terribly. My intentions at this point are to slowly reemerge back into the community and onto this blog, to begin learning all the new bells and whistles that have been introduced to this software since I left. For what it matters, I did not leave intentionally. Life, in all its mysterious ways, has interrupted me.

I've been rendering these fractals with a computer I once thought was pretty fast. But when someone requested a larger size for their business, I realized just how slow my computer really is. I'm happy to say that a few nights ago I ordered 4GB of memory from Dell. It should be arriving either today (Saturday) or Monday. I imagine that once I install this memory, I'll once again be prolific.

10 comments:

runnerfrog said...

I'm so happy you are back! :-)

Really hard to pick one but I stay with the B version.

Now that you'll have 4 more Gb, you should render them bigger I think.

Be prolific! (I'm Frogific) :-)

Dzeni said...

Welcome back. Both works are lovely and I can see why you found it hard to choose between. Hopefully the new memory does the trick when it comes to rendering :)

Intergalactic Stacey said...

Hi Runnerfrog,

I see you've changed the name of your blog as well as your profile photo. I wonder if this is a recent change or something you did a while ago while I was on a break from this blog.

I visited your blog tonight as it's been a while since I've been there. I plan to spend more time there in the near future, hopefully sometime in the next day or two. I want to see what you've been up to with those algorithms of yours. ;)

So glad to see you again. And very happy that you haven't forgotten me.

Intergalactic Stacey said...

Hi Dzeni,

Thanks for enjoying them.

I am very excited about seeing what kind of possibilities will be available to me once I have more memory.

I visited your blog the other day and said to myself that you're still on top of things! You've definitely kept up with the advances that have been made and your creativity is at peak level as always! I was going to ask you some questions about some of your pieces. One in particular that I like was - if I recall correctly - green and had a certain nice perspective to it. I'll comment on it in the next few days so you'll know which one I'm talking about. Chances are I'll probably email you, too.

Thanks for the help in the forum!

TotalChaos said...

Good to see you back Stacey. I have missed your work. I have to go with c as my favorite. Just got back from a couple of weeks camping, and what a great sight to see you back.

Intergalactic Stacey said...

Hi TotalChaos,

We were planning on going camping this spring but it just got too hot too fast! We sleep in a GMC Starcraft van when we go camping, but it doesn't have an air conditioner. We've looked into portable air conditioners for it, though. They're just too expensive!

It's good to see you, too. Thanks for the visit. I hope you enjoyed your camping trip.

Wontar said...

Welcome back! Looks like you're back with a vengeance. :) Hooray for more memory! I don't blame you one bit for keeping images small to thwart thieves. It's not a fun experience to try to stop a thief.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see you posting again, Stacey! I hope to see more of your work on dA. BTW....did you notice that your work got a mention on this site....http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/Pickover/pc/realitycarnival.html

Whoever runs the site actually put a link to one of my pieces, too. Keep scrolling and you'll see both links.

Intergalactic Stacey said...

Hi Wontar,

Sorry I missed this comment the other day.

Yes, it seems that every time I come back to fractals, I do so obsessively. Then I end up getting burnt-out for a while. Hence my one-year absence.

Luckily I haven't seen any of my images stolen. Sometimes people put them on their blogs but I don't mind that, especially when they give me credit. I've heard of a few fractal artists getting their images stolen by people who try to make money off them. I hope that never happens to me. Who knows, it could be happening now, but how would I know? Someone would have to be pretty desperate to use the low-quality versions of these images.

Intergalactic Stacey said...

Hi Jenn,

I hope to find some time soon to upload these images to DA. Sometimes DA frustrates me because it's so slow.

Yes, I noticed that Cliff Pickover linked to me last year when all of a sudden I started to get hundreds if not thousands of new visitors to my blog. That was very nice of him to do that! I had no idea you were on there, too. Isn't that neat? I just checked out your "pink chewy stuff".

Cliff Pickover is a book author who also has some very unusually interesting web sites. His interests seem to line-up perfectly with mine.

Thanks for your visit and comment!